Sunday, July 15, 2007

Snapping Turtles.

My life has always been an adventure. Some have asked why these things happen to me. I have always felt fortunate to have caring people around me to save me. I believe that GOD works through people. Those times when there is no time to decide if you should put yourself in danger or just react. My sister Rita is the hero of this story. When I was knee high to a butterfly. ok a bit bigger. I was very small compared to others my age. I would follow anyone anywhere. My father was a road commissioner and before the days of township buildings all of the equipment was stored at our farm. One of the pieces of equipement was a road roller. When they would build a new road they would pull this multi-wheeled cart down the road to flatten it. The cart was huge and when rolling they would fill it with water or other heavy stuff. but then they moved it from place to place they would empty out the cart. Well my brothers would alway catch, or trap any helpless creature they could and this time they had caught several snappin turtles. They decided to keep them in the roller cart that was filled with water. So they have 6 or so snapping turtles in the cart and I heard them telling someone else about this so I'm sure I was planning on saving the turtles from their plans of soup. or at any rate getting a good look as these turtles. so I climbed right up the end of the cart knelt on the edge. I couldn't see them well enough so I leaned in. And of course fell in. I didn't know how to swim. Lord I barely knew how to climb up the side of the thing. My sister Rita saw a flash of color as I fell in. She ran to the cart, climbed up and grabbed me. The only thing she could reach was my hair she grabbed on a pulled me out.
My guardian Angel was kept quite busy.

No comments: