Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Who Says I'm Special

Yesterday my students were given the opportunity to view the Jr. High building and classroom as a way to dispell their fears of next year. I enjoyed it because I got to see students that I've had in years past. They greet me as a celeb and it is great. A couple caught up with me in the hall and told me that their year was going wonderful. I am always proud of them. Smiles for everyone.

We stopped in one of the Classroom and I saw my buddy Brock(named changed to protect the friends of Mr. Karr) Brock is the highest functionin Down's child I have ever taught. The students had a worksheet out and were studying science. The teacher gave the directions to take out a pencil. Brock looked around and said "I don't have a pencil" The teacher said Brock that is your responsibility when I done with my instructions you can sign your name and check out a pencil. The teacher handed Brock a pen and said "Use this until I get done" Brock put the pen up to his nose and said This is not a pencil. The teacher continued with his instruction. He said "the first word you will use one time. The second word" Brandon broke in. Two two two You use the second word two times. you use the third word three times. The teacher said no Brock the second word is used three times. Brock said that doesn't make sense. The teacher continued his instuctions. When he was done he said Brock lets get you a pencil. Brock walked up to the teacher podium and placed the pen on it. The pen rolled off on to the floor. Brandon continued across the room to sign his name for a pencil. He put the pencil behind his ear. The teacher said Brock where is my pen. Brock said your desk has issues. The teacher said "OK???" Where is my pen. Brock said I put it right here pointing to the podium. He said "The rest is a mystery". I am rolling inside with laughter and totally composed on the outside. I have to remain professional. Brandon sits down and starts to work but can't find his pencil. The teacher is picking up the pen and says "Brock you ear" Brock says "You talking to me" Teacher says Yes. Your ear" Brock says "I'm listening" The teacher walks over takes the pencil from Brock's ear and hands it to him. Unfortunately we had to move on to our next classroom. The other classes were wonderful not as amusing but wonderful. The kids noticed the important things. "Kids chew gum" "Lunches include chips" "Kids sit whereever they want" "The bathrooms are clean" "The principal is short" "They have computers" "P.E. every day" "The doors only open one way"

No comments: