Sunday, April 6, 2008

Bird Dog?

My two dogs are as goofy as I am. Pippen is a hearing impaired Boston Terrier. He weighs maybe 15 lbs. I call him the clap on clap off dog because you have to clap your hands to get his attention then he knows sign language. Last summer I got Freeda She is a Morky 1/2 Yorky 1/2 Maltise. She is all of 7 lbs and is Pippin's hearing/ear dog. When someone come to the door she goes and looks then runs to Pippen and barks at him until he runs to the door with her barking. She follows me from room to room as Pippens sleeps in my chair. When it is time for bed I put them in the utility room. I tell Freeda bed time and she runs barking at Pippen. She returns with Pippen and they both get a treat before going into their crates. Our evening walks (thank goodness for spring) are a one or two block walk for both dogs. After that Pippen is beat and we drop him off at the house then Freeda and I take our 2 mile stroll. The other night we returned for a walk and as I got in the house I kicked of my shoes and unhitched Freeda. I followed her through the garage to make sure there was water in the dish. When we got to the screen porch there was a bird in the screen porch. The door was wide open and the bird was flying back and forth and not getting out. Freeda ran out and jumped straight up 3 feet and caught the bird in mid air. I screamed Freeda no no. She took off like a bullet into the house. I stubbed my toe as I vaulted after her. She took the bird over to Pippen and put it down. I'm still screaming crying, running. The bird start flying around my living room. Now Pippen is in the act. Barking his fool head off. I trip over the coffee table. After I'm done blessing all that is holy. I see the bird has found the window. Freeda has brought Pippen to the bird and doesn't understand why he isn't jumping like she does. Freeda knows I'm screeming at her so she isn't jumping. Finially I get the poor little bird to the door and set him free. I now realize that I'm wounded and bleeding from my toe, leg and knee. In my scramble I left little red dots through the house. I bandaged myself (thank goodness for Earl Dickson, the inventor of the bandaid) I crawled from room to room cleaning spots Pippen thought this was his chance to like my face.

And what do I answer when someone ask "How was your evening" I say oh nothing unusual.

1 comment:

Kate58 said...

Great story!! You should write a book about all your crazy experiences!!