Saturday, September 15, 2007

Morky and not Mindy

Well, Joel knew when I said I would go and "look" at the dog that I would return with it. Freeda is a 5 month old Maltise/Yorky mix. She weighs 6 pounds. coloration is that of a Yorky but the body of a Maltise. Joel's girlfriend has a Maltise (Louie) And Louie and Freeda have the same birthday. At first I wasn't sure she was going to get along with Pippen. I asked the people I got her from to give me a one week trial. She initially (for about two days) was very timid. but now she is a spunky little pooch. Freeda and Pippen are getting along wonderfully. She loves to pick a chair or laundry basket and claim it then defend it against Pippen. He walks by and gives her a growl and she yips. One morning I heard the dogs growling and barking when I was in the shower. Fearing that one might hurt the other I ran through the house wearing only what the Lord gave me. When I got to the living room. Pippen has one of his tug ropes. He would take it over to Freeda and she would grab the other end and they would circle growling. Pippen was even being careful not to pull too hard. I was cracking up. Of course Freeda loves Pippen's food and Pippen think Freeda's puppy chow is the best. I gave up trying to separate the two so I just mix both kind in both of their bowls. I still do a snake dance as I walk to two but it is getting better. Oh and of course Freeda loves Pippen's Kennel. It is her "safe" place. My niece and her two children are living in my attic efficiency apt. Ariana is 6 months. Tyler is 2 1/2. When Freeda sees Tyler she makes a beeline for the kennel. Freeda still shakes in new situations or new people but she is calming quicker. In the morning she looks more like a rabbit than a dog as she bounces around the house. and she loves that she can run around the circle through my kitchen dining room and living room. She tries to make surprize attacks on Pippen. Not that a surprize attack is difficult when Pippen is deaf.

Joel loves my How I got Pippen story. I thought I'd share in again.
Three years ago Joel was wrestling in Misouri at the University of Misouri-Columbia. I went down the night before and stayed in a Ramada. There was a fund raiser going on in the bar at the hotel so I paid the entrance fee and had a drink. I'm a sucker for a 50/50 drawing. So when they came around I put in $5.00. There was a band playing and they had munchies and Tables set up with lots of stuff. I was talking to a guy at the bar. And they kept announcing how the boy was hurt in a 4 wheeler accident and was making good progress. The boys father lost his job beacause of the care he needed to give the boy. Poor family. Well when I won the 50/50 It was a little over $100 who hoooo As I sat at the bar I thought "you know the boy needs the money more than I do." So I went over to the table an gave the money to one of the ladies. The band was playing and I couldn't understand much of what she was saying. She gave me a form that asked for my address and I signed it. Thinking maybe they were sending thank you cards. I went back to the bar and continue to chat with the dude about the problems in the world. He was a huge black guy and he said that he loved to drink with white guys because when black guys get drunk they cry in the beer about how terrible their lives are. When white guys get drunk they talk aboout the last time they were drunk. I don't know if that is true or not but he was entertaining. When I went to leave the bar a man came up to me and said "don't forget your dog" I said "dog??? I don't have a dog!" He said "The puppy you bought in the silent auction. Omg. When I explained that I didn't know I was buying a dog and I was just in town for a wrestling tourney. The dude said "I'll tell you what, the lady that donated the puppy already left. Here is her number. You can call her tomorrow and make arrangement to give the dog back if you don't want it. The guy even gave me the kennel. So I went back to my room with puppy. The next morning it was cool and I was concerned about leaving the puppy in the car while I watch wrestling. I would go out and run the car for a bit the play with the pup then go back in. One of girls with the wrestling team went out with Josh to see the puppy and brought the pup back in under her coat. The puppy went from one stat girl to another and about half way through the tourney the tournament organizer came up and asked if the puppy was mine. I thought oh lord now I'm going to get kicked out of the place. I said yes it was mine. He said well then hold on a minute I have some puppy treats in my office and asked if I needed a blanket or anything for the puppy. too too funny. When I got ready to leave for the day I couldn't find the puppy. finially I found a heavyweight black guy with the dog. I said excuse me I getting ready to leave and that is my puppy. He said man you need to sell this dog on ebay. You'd get half and I'd get half. I said "why would I give you half" and he said "cause I got the dog" So I returned with the puppy to Illinois. At the time I was living in a small efficiency apt. The puppy was perfect for me. He was always at my heels so I rarely had to call him. I didn't know he was hearing impaired until he was 8 or 9 months old when I left him with my sister for a weekend. She said your dog can't hear but he know sign language. Millie is too sweet. And she was right! I talk with my hands and pippen knows what I want. I clap my hands together which he can hear. Then I pat my stomach and he comes running. When I point he runs and hops in his chair. When I swing my hand back and forth by my thigh he knows I want him to enter the door. He is so good he won't touch a piece of food even on the floor until I give him the o.k. I'm hoping his good manners rub off on the puppy.

2 comments:

Kate58 said...

I love your stories! So happy that Freda is working out so well with Pippen.

Kate

Mindy said...

I love that my name was mentioned. I can't wait to meet her!