Saturday, September 8, 2007

man in the mirror

I am so fortunate to have two awesome sons. Joel started up a T-Shirt printing business and I got him orders for our family reunion. only 30 shirts but we may get a few more orders at the reunion. So of course he was over last night (last minute) and screen printing T-shirts. His girlfriend Jen came along and we talked while he worked, oh I did help by ironing. As we talked Joel would say "you remember that story I told you" Jen said " Joel you tell so many stories I don't remember them all" I laughed and laughed. Mini-me for sure. And as Joel talked of working on becoming a teacher and they joy he had substitute teaching. I smiled. We need good teachers and I know Joel will put his whole heart into his job. We laughed and laughed about the similarities of the way we view the world. The UPS man delivered Joel's T-Shirt stuff and My Zumba tape. He said Dad you aren't gonna Zumba. I said I know but I watched the info commercial one time too many and couldn't resist. My garage is now set up with a weight bench, tread mill and exercise bike. Joel had an old TV that I mounted int he garage to Zumba to. I probably won't exercise but I did do some setting it all up and I got to clean my garage in the process.

I have been looking for a small puppy. I wasn't sure what kind but heard of a Morky which is a Maltise Yorky mix. So today I'm going to go look at the pup. I think it may keep Pippen company. Pippen does love other dogs. I babysat for my friends Yorky for two weeks and Pippen was a happy dog. So maybe just maybe I'll have a new puppy tonight.

I have been helping Hondurans and Guadamalans that are working at the cucumber plant in Maroa. The men are had workers and are living in trailers that the plant set up for them in Maroa (no gas just electricity which means not hot water or stove) They walk to and from work but don't have access to groceries or other things So I run them to Decatur. My spanglish is getting interesting. And they talk slow for the Guedo (light skinned person) They discribe each other light skinned mexicans as guedo as well. David is from Honduras and has an extremely low voice. He was speaking english to me yesterday and I had no idea what he was saying so he switched to spanish and I went OHHHHHHH. too funny. I forget who I'm talking to and speak spanish to english speaking folk. We were sitting an a crowded mexican restaurant in Decatur when a white woman slapped her toddler. They young girl let out a yell the would have curdled milk. David reached across the table and asked me what I was going to do. I said it would be ok. I just wasn't sure what to do and we tend to mind our own business. David is a big man and when the woman yanked the child out of her chair because the little girl dropped a chip on the floor. David stood up and said in his deep voice. "That baby is a gift from GOD". The woman said nothing, picked up her child and made her way to the door. The people that were with her followed her. David said he wouldn't treat a burrow like that. I understood and thought why can't we speak out more like David. Those who do for the least of my brothers do it for me.

No comments: