Sunday, January 25, 2009

My Baby is 26

Married less than one year and our first child was on the way. I did a happy dance every day. Cathy was terribly sick the entire pregnancy. She took motion sick medicine just to function.
We had taken Lamaze classes before Josh was born. The weekly trip to the hospital with pillow in hand. We called them the pillow people. One of the things they said was that a lot of new parents rush into the hospital after the news goes off and the contractions start. They cautioned that if we waited til after midnight we wouldn't have to pay for two days. I was at a meeting at The Baby Fold. We had one every Monday night. When your mother called. I got excited and ran right into the door Jam. I about knocked myself out. Everyone laughed at me lying on the floor and helped me up and I was rushing home. Cathy was feeling "funny". She didn't think they were contractions but and after a couple we started timing them. We didn't wait until midnight. The classes said you were suppose to pack cookies for the husband, in case the delivery went long, (Cathy had them frozen in a zip lock in the freezer) and suckers for the woman. Once labor started they would let the expectant mother eat but sometimes they would allow suckers. So off we go in our little compact car through the streets of Normal, Illinois. I had to stop at Krogers for the suckers. I had the clasical music (my smart son was gonna be born to it) I had the instant camera (Poloroid instant brand new, we wouldn't have to wait to delevope them just shake. Cathy got it with coupons of some kind) We had new born clothes and packed clothes. You were a month early so it was a good thing Cathy was a great planner. So I leave Cathy in the car as I run into Krogers. I yelled at the cashier. Where are your suckers. She said "what" I said suckers you know you lick them. I said "my wife is having a baby in the car and I need suckers. She said "your wife is having a baby" I said yes. I started running up and down looking for them. There they were hanging on an end cap. They had the ones that are all strung together with plastic. I grabbed a bunch and thew them on the counter. The manager said "are you alright" I said sure sure, here is the money. and I ran. When we got the hospital I stopped at the emergency door. Cathy was so patient. I ran around and got her out. Then I couldn't decide if I should walk her in or park the car. I leaned her on a pole and away I went to park the car. Jumped over a curb and down so grassy area and was back in a flash. We were all pre-admitted. Thanks to Cathy so that part was easy but I was still spinning. music, camera, cookies, clothes, I was so excited I couldn't breath. We got one of the new room with the birthing chair which was wonderful. You came without complication at 2:28 a.m. I had the classical music playing. I had the camera ready. It was wonderful. I waited until they cleaned Josh up for the first picture. When I clicked the Poloroid Camera all 10 pictures/flashes went off at once. flash flash flash flash flash. I got one of Josh and 9 of the room as I was trying to figure it out. The second roll I took all 10 of Josh and they also all fired at once. I was prepared with 5 packs so I got 10 pictures of each of 5 poses and I'm sure Josh was blind for days. When we called you grandmas neither could believe that we didn't call them when we went in. But both were happy. I called everyone I knew at 3 a.m. to tell them about my new arrival. When we took Josh home I demanded that he be put in a car seat. The nurse said no honey he is too small, let the mother hold him. I got my way. He was strapped down safely. My how times have changed. We had to make a law to make people be safe.

2 comments:

Kate58 said...

Wow- what an adventure to the hospital! You had it down to detail! It's amazing how fast our babies are growing up as we grow OLDER!!

TinaB said...

I love reading your blogs! You ALWAYS make me smile!!! :) Thanks for sharing!!!! Happy Birthday to Josh!!!